Aug 5, 2009

DISCRETION Vs. DIVINITY

I look forward with robust hopes to that day when all- every part- of my life will be controlled entirely by what I hear the Holy Spirit say. No hassles, no objections, just unblemished obedience. As little as whether or not to use a deodorant is included. Well, with the consequences of not using a deodorant, I’m sure someone won’t call that little.
I amidst this hope have a reservation however. I wonder truly where the line should be drawn and if there should indeed be a line. I mean here, the line between what is God’s responsibility and ours. How far should our discretion go and when should human instincts back off completely? It might seem senseless to wander along this thought course but for someone who has ever asked Jesus to be his Lord, I believe we should share the same puzzles now.
One synonym for ‘Lord’ and that which fits the above context quite perfectly is Master. And for everyone who has a master, not much can define him than being a subject. And if we are subjects, what more should we do than what the Master has laid down? Except well, in cases of inadvertent insubordination or outright rebellion! Where this not the case, should our obedience not be as good as leaving the driver’s seat completely for the One who knows the way?
All too often, we Christians seem to have our actions stalled by our “waiting on God syndrome”. Not that this is a bad syndrome, it just seems these days as an effective excuse for inaction. I’m pressured to wonder which actions we should wait on Him for and which we should outrightly execute with more consultations to discretion than Divinity.
For someone who wants ‘Jesus to take the wheel’, I look forward to that day when I would have let all go- steering, throttle, rear mirror, gear and even seatbelt and not be so heavenly conscious that I’m classed as earthly useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joe

Joe
Me